[lfs-dev] e2fsprogs + crond

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 1 17:55:15 PDT 2019

On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 08:28:29AM +0200, Thomas Trepl via lfs-dev wrote:
> Am Montag, den 13.05.2019, 00:47 +0100 schrieb Ken Moffat via lfs-dev:
> > On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 10:25:34PM +0200, Thomas Trepl via lfs-dev wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > i just started a build of a new system. To my surprise, it failed in
> > > chap6 at e2fsprogs where it never stopped before.
> > > The reason for stopping is
> > >
> > > <snip>
> > > ake[1]: Leaving directory '/autolfs/sources/e2fsprogs-1.45.0/build/po'
> > > making install in scrub
> > > make[1]: Entering directory '/autolfs/sources/e2fsprogs-
> > > 1.45.0/build/scrub'
> > >         MKDIR_P /usr/lib/e2fsprogs
> > >         MKDIR_P yes
> > >         INSTALL yes/e2scrub_all
> > > /usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file 'yes/e2scrub_all': No

Replying to this to try to keep things in the the thread.

This just bit me in my 'tuning' builds.  But this is my 6th set of
builds, the first two sets were repeated after I found issues in my
attempts to force my CFLAGS and started over, and the next 3 sets
(with hardening) repeated LFS to make sure it could adequately build
itself.  Actually, one of those got repeated twice because of a gcc
issue.  So, until a little while ago this had not bit me (still on
e2fsprogs-1.45.0 for these builds, trying not to change more than I
need to).

> Btw, the hard breakage seems to be caused by using MAKEFLAGS=-j5. I
> left that out and install runs thru (but still doing that 'yes'
> stuff).

An interesting comment - I'm on a haswell i7, using -j8.  So, sounds
as if there was a race somewhere in 1.45.0

I've now added your suggestion from the 1.45.1 ticket,
 --with-crond-dir=no
and it installed ok.  But then, the previous 10 builds were fine so
dunno.

I remembered you posting about this as soon as it bit me, but I have
to say that I didn't really expect a lot of trouble in this current
build.  All I'm doing is replacing -march=native by -mtune=native,
and really using -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 for all of texinfo (not yet
sure about that, although I've now got to the end of LFS chapter 6).

Building software is fun, ain't it ?

ĸen
--
Before the universe began, there was a sound. It went: "One, two, ONE,
two, three, four" [...] The cataclysmic power chord that followed was