[lfs-dev] init from Sysvinit-2.93 does not display version information

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 09:14:13 PST 2019

On 01/21/2019 04:06 AM, Pierre Labastie via lfs-dev wrote:
> On 20/01/2019 22:52, Bruce Dubbs via lfs-dev wrote:
>> On 01/20/2019 03:16 PM, Ryan Marsaw via lfs-dev wrote:
>>> Hello LFS editors.
>>>
>>> When I boot into my LFS system, the first thing I see is something like this:
>>> "INIT: version 2.88 booting"
>>>
>>> Ever since version 2.91 of Sysvinit the version of "init" is no longer
>>> displayed "INIT: versionĀ  booting"
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> That's because we don't run the Makefile in the main tarball.
>
> Why not? Running "make" or "make install" in the top level directory just runs
> the command below (or the command below + install) (Just tried).
>
>   We need:
>>
>> VERSION=2.93 make -C src
>>
>> so src/Makefile will get the right value.

You are right.  I guess we can just do:

patch
make
make install

I do not remember why we used the '-C src' option in the past but
perhaps in the latest version the Makefile was updated.

I'll not that the main Makefile only defines PACKAGE and VERSION and
then runs $(MAKE) VERSION=$(VERSION) -C src $@

   -- Bruce