[lfs-dev] Missing option for grub-install?

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Mon Jan 21 01:44:59 PST 2019

Hi,

My machine has an UEFI BIOS, so that I rarely run grub-install. But yesterday,
I built a new qemu VM, with a non-UEFI (virtual) BIOS. When running
grub-install, it failed with a message (sorry, I haven't saved it) telling
that it could not find /usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi. Running "grub-install --help"
returned:
---------
[...]
--target TARGET    install GRUB for TARGET platform [default=x86_64-efi]
[...]
---------
so I had to run "grub-install --target i386-pc /dev/sda". But now that I have
done that, "grub-install --help" returns:
---------
[...]
--target TARGET    install GRUB for TARGET platform [default=i386-pc]
[...]
---------

So the default seems to be what is already installed. Checking the source for
grub-install confirms that. I must have taken a virtual disk used for a former
VM with UEFI BIOS.

Should we add this switch (--target i386-pc) to the grub-install command in
the book?

Pierre