[lfs-dev] perl install dirs

Thomas Trepl thomas at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 19 12:03:14 PST 2019

Hi all,

here a question about install directories of perl. Currently, an
installation of perl results in a structure like

/usr
  +---> lib
        +---> perl5
              +---> 5.28.0
              +---> site_perl
                    +---> 5.28.0

Installed perm modules seems to go mainly in
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.28.0 and some files in
/usr/lib/perl5/5.28.0. As we do not specify any pathes to the
Configure command to perl, it seems that this is the default.

The reason why i ask is what happens when perl gets upgraded (from
5.28.0 to 5.28.1). Looks like the result is a structure like

/usr
  +---> lib
        +---> perl5
              +---> 5.28.0

+---> 5.28.1
              +---> site_perl
                    +--->
5.28.0
                    +---> 5.28.1

Are the modules installed in the */5.28.0 directoies still available
to perl or are they "lost" and need to be reinstalled in order to get
placed into the */5.28.1 directories? Or does perl automatically
recognize those multible directories?

There are several options to the Configure script of perl (-Dprivlib
-Darchlib -Dsitelib -Dvendorlib etc.) which seems to have influence on
the final directory structure.
Could the usage of those options ease the upgrade of perl (without
having to rebuild the modules (if required))?

(All those are dump questions as I'm really not an perl expert but i
have the strong feeling that an in-place-upgrade of perl somehow
breaks installed modules.)

Whats your opinion?

--
Thomas