[lfs-dev] binutils, elfutils-0.175, objdump, linux kernel-4.19.12 (SVN-20190101) Follow-up

Jean-Marc Pigeon jmp at safe.ca
Wed Jan 9 16:50:38 PST 2019

On 01/09/2019 12:32 AM, Ken Moffat via lfs-dev wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 04:57:28AM +0000, Ken Moffat via lfs-dev wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 10:36:22PM -0500, Jean-Marc Pigeon via lfs-dev wrote:
>>>
>>> Please could you confirm you were successful to compile
>>> the Kernel because
>>> CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO is NOT set.
>>> within .config file.
>>>

>> Sure, that is indeed not set.
>>
>> Help text from https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/DEBUG_INFO.html
>>
>> If you say Y here the resulting kernel image will include debugging
>> info resulting in a larger kernel image. This adds debug symbols to
>> the kernel and modules (gcc -g), and is needed if you intend to use
>> kernel crashdump or binary object tools like crash, kgdb, LKCD, gdb,
>> etc on the kernel. Say Y here only if you plan to debug the kernel.
>>
>> If unsure, say N.
>>

> As far as I know, no current kernel developers use LFS so there is
> no need to run 'make allmodconfig' or 'make allyesconfig'.  But if
> anybody does have a reason to make either of those targets, adding
> the patch Jean-Marc pointed to (or using a git version of binutils
> if it doesn't apply to the last release) should be within their
> abilities.
>
> For more general kernel debugging (and few of us here ever seem to
> have to do that), 'git bisect' is a more general tool for debugging
> which commit broke a use-case (or a build).  Sure, tools like crash
> and kgdb can be as much fun as any other tool, but most of us do not
> need them.
>
> ĸen

So, I have redone the chapter 6 again, using elfutils-0.175
Trouble with Kernel objdump show up (as expected).

As expected too, objdump is complaining about
some standard libraries from /usr/lib
objdump -f *.so | grep recogni
objdump: libc.so: file format not recognized
objdump: libform.so: file format not recognized
objdump: libgcc_s.so: file format not recognized
objdump: libm.so: file format not recognized
objdump: libmenu.so: file format not recognized
objdump: libncurses.so: file format not recognized
objdump: libpanel.so: file format not recognize

I extracted the git and generated a binutils
from tag
2018-12-23 09:51:55 +0400  (tag: gdb-8.2.1-release)
which should include objdump/elfutils bug fix.

New objdump still complaining about standard libraries.

My guess is we need to do chapter5+6 with this new
binutil.

I do not like this.., this "malfunction" is deeply
entrenched within core.

So, I decided not to go elfutils.0.175 and keep 0.173
for our next release and wait for a binutils new
release (elfutils compatible).

My advice to LFS, revert for 0.175 to 0.173 for release 8.4.

--

A bientôt
Jean-Marc Pigeon                        E-Mail: jmp at safe.ca
SAFE Inc.                             Phone: (514) 493-4280
   Clement, 'a kiss solution' to get rid of SPAM (at last)
      Clement' Home base <"http://www.clement.safe.ca">