[lfs-dev] binutils, elfutils-0.175, objdump, linux kernel-4.19.12 (SVN-20190101) Follow-up

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 8 21:32:33 PST 2019

On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 04:57:28AM +0000, Ken Moffat via lfs-dev wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 10:36:22PM -0500, Jean-Marc Pigeon via lfs-dev wrote:
> >
> > Please could you confirm you were successful to compile
> > the Kernel because
> > CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO is NOT set.
> > within .config file.
> >

> Sure, that is indeed not set.
>
> Help text from https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/DEBUG_INFO.html
>
> If you say Y here the resulting kernel image will include debugging
> info resulting in a larger kernel image. This adds debug symbols to
> the kernel and modules (gcc -g), and is needed if you intend to use
> kernel crashdump or binary object tools like crash, kgdb, LKCD, gdb,
> etc on the kernel. Say Y here only if you plan to debug the kernel.
>
> If unsure, say N.

As far as I know, no current kernel developers use LFS so there is
no need to run 'make allmodconfig' or 'make allyesconfig'.  But if
anybody does have a reason to make either of those targets, adding
the patch Jean-Marc pointed to (or using a git version of binutils
if it doesn't apply to the last release) should be within their
abilities.

For more general kernel debugging (and few of us here ever seem to
have to do that), 'git bisect' is a more general tool for debugging
which commit broke a use-case (or a build).  Sure, tools like crash
and kgdb can be as much fun as any other tool, but most of us do not
need them.

ĸen
--
Take three of these a minute for four minutes.  Don't take with
alcohol or you'll grow an extra head.