[lfs-dev] Multilib patch

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 14:51:00 PST 2019

On 01/02/2019 03:28 PM, Ken Moffat via lfs-dev wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2019 at 08:55:52PM +0800, Kevin Buckley via lfs-dev wrote:
>>
>> With that in mind I wanted to say that I am often surprised by the number
>> of XML comments there are still in those "release tag" SVN sources.
>>

> Comments are written by editors for future editors.  When a book is
> released, the only changes should be when Bruce notes that
> something could be better worded, or if he notices something in the
> rendered book that he thinks could be better.
>
>> The one other thing I noticed is that there must be some automatic
>> re-formatting of the XML going on (?) after changes are made, in that
>> a couple of the patch chunks only failed to apply to the vanilla 8.3 XML
>> because the context lines didn't match after a line had been wrapped slightly
>> differently.
>>

> I rarely touch LFS itself these days, but whenever I'm editing BLFS
> I will often make changes in the XML simply because I noticed
> something, either when editing, or when looking at the rendered
> book.
>
> Very little is automatic.

Well actually there are a lot of things that are not obvious but are
automatic.  But as Ken says, changing xml is not.  That's all done by
hand.  For the development version of BLFS changes are made virtually
daily.  Since LFS is less than 10% of BLFS, the changes there are less
frequent, but there are 3-4 still changes a month.

   -- Bruce