[lfs-dev] Multilib patch

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 2 13:28:14 PST 2019

On Wed, Jan 02, 2019 at 08:55:52PM +0800, Kevin Buckley via lfs-dev wrote:

> With that in mind I wanted to say that I am often surprised by the number
> of XML comments there are still in those "release tag" SVN sources.

Comments are written by editors for future editors.  When a book is
released, the only changes should be when Bruce notes that
something could be better worded, or if he notices something in the
rendered book that he thinks could be better.

> The one other thing I noticed is that there must be some automatic
> re-formatting of the XML going on (?) after changes are made, in that
> a couple of the patch chunks only failed to apply to the vanilla 8.3 XML
> because the context lines didn't match after a line had been wrapped slightly
> differently.

I rarely touch LFS itself these days, but whenever I'm editing BLFS
I will often make changes in the XML simply because I noticed
something, either when editing, or when looking at the rendered
book.

Very little is automatic.

ĸen
--
The Laird o’Phelps spent Hogmanay declaring he was sober,
Counted his feet to prove the fact and found he had one foot over.