[lfs-dev] LFS lecture in Tokyo

Kevin Buckley kevin.m.buckley at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 23:11:08 PDT 2019

On 08/22/2019 10:12 AM, Bruce Dubbs via lfs-dev wrote:
> > On 8/22/19 3:35 AM, Akira Urushibata via lfs-dev wrote:
> >>
> >> I will talk about LFS on Saturday (Japan time) in an event for open
> >> source developers.

> >> I will speak on the merits of LFS, how the build process works and
> >> prerequisite skills.  Because I think consider a major shortcoming of
> >> the current LFS Book is failure to discuss project management, I plan
> >> to make it clear that you need project management skills to succeed in
> >> building a working system and tell the audience what those skills are.
> >> ..
>>

> There is need for "project management skill" and very good discipline to
> have recurring success to build a consistent LFS (even more needed
> with the bLFS part). Rebuilding from scratch over and over is a must.

As someone who has always tried to buiid LFS within the "More control
and package management".approach, I actually feel that any need for
the LFS Books to discuss "project management" is NOT a shortcoming
of the Books.

Everything you need to build a working system is there in the Books: you
don't need anything else.

Furthemore, LFS tries to list dependencies and installation order, even
if there is a little "wiggle room" (usually depending on how one views
the necessity of one or two of the packages) so again, there is no
need to adopt any project managment skills: you just follow the book.

Whilst the Books give the informed reader enough information to question
some of the choices that have been made, as well as a starting point
from which to make, or just try out, other choices, the Books are still
a self-contained, and a complete, whoie, subject, of course, to a few
errata after each release.

Where the LFS Books might be useful, when talking about project
management practices, would be in trying to document the way in
which the various revisions of the Books are created, so the checks
and balances that get applied to any new package that might be
considered for addition - or old package considered for removal,
come to that - or the way in which the various "workarounds" that
have been found to be necessary are managed as and when the
upstream package changes.

Similarly, the discussion of the next iteration via a mailing list,
or other channels, is something worthy of consideration for the
field of project management, but not the Books themselves.

Even the way in which the XML markup has been arrived at would
make an interesting consideration for "project management" discussions.

All such discussions though, are NOT a shortcoming of the Books as
they exist: for me, they are very much something extra, almost something
for a "book about the Books".

Just my thr'pen'th though,
Kevin