[lfs-dev] Glibc-2.28 for a 64-bit system

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Nov 10 02:31:06 PST 2018

On November 10, 2018 3:58:43 AM CST, John Frankish via lfs-dev <lfs-dev at lists.linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>Ref:
>
>Linux From Scratch - Version SVN-20181106
>Chapter 6. Installing Basic System Software
>6.9. Glibc-2.28
>
>The instructions mention:
>
>libc_cv_slibdir=/lib
>This variable sets the correct library for all systems. We do not want
>lib64 to be used.
>
>..but after installation I needed the following sed for this to be true
>
>sed -i 's at lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 at lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2@'
>/usr/bin/ldd

Although it probably won't hurt on LFS (as we use the Debian style layout for multilib so that both work), the change you suggested, technically breaks ABI (though it's covered in ld.so.conf, I believe).

The description for that instruction should probably be clarified to suggest that this is the root library 'installation' directory (slib). But bottom line, no matter what you do, any 3rd party binaries installed later will refer to /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (as well as any installed by your LFS toolchain unless you've made further adjustments to the linker search paths in linux{,-64}.h files at the beginning of the glibc instructions).

You could probably edit some (most?) binaries with two additional spaces if you really want to excise the '64' in that path, but it would be far from the standard. Probably best to leave it as is (obvious exception for understanding the mechanics if you want to fiddle with it or hack together a custom arch value or something - but that's far more involved than some glibc header changes :-) ).

If any of the above is unclear, please inquire as I'd like to try and make this as clear as possible for all readers. Any text suggestions to help make it more transparent (in addition to the already mentioned change) would be greatly appreciated as well.

--DJ