[lfs-dev] LFS-8.1-systemd comments.

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 12:42:37 PST 2017

> Allard Welter wrote:

"6.28.1

sed -i 's/1000/999/' etc/useradd

The instructions do this: sed -i 's/1000/999/' etc/useradd
The configuration section (6.8.2) refers to GROUP=1000 in default/useradd

I don't really understand the rationale for this change. What was wrong
with the traditional GROUP=100 for users?"

This is a bit confusing on the surface.  Useradd increments the GROUP
value when adding the first user, so we change it to 999 so the first
user has the gid of 1000.  The reason why we use 1000 for GROUP is
that the default in the package.

I'll try to clarify, but you may want to look at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/postlfs/users.html

---
"6.31.1

Despite its obviousness, maybe mention that bison must be re-configured
and re-made before running make check.'

I think we will pass on this.

---
"6.33.2

egrep (grep -E) and fgrep (grep -F) are hardly programs."

Those files are installed as scripts and scripts are programs.

---
"6.35.1

In Note

The test time for libtool can ibe reduced significantly
                               ^
The test time for libtool can be reduced significantly"

This was fixed in the development version of the book some time ago.

---
"6.38.2

Descriptions do not start with capital."

OK

---
"6.40.2 ?

instmodsh: Shell script for examining installed Perl modules, and can even
create a tarball from an installed module

instmodsh: Shell script for examining installed Perl modules, which can
even create a tarball from an installed module

Is the phrase really needed?"

I will just remove the word 'even'

---
"6.48

systemd is not capitalized as proper noun consistent with other program
names used in the text."

Upstream guidance is that systemd should never be capitalized.

   -- Bruce