[lfs-dev] LFS-8.1-systemd comments.

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 11:52:35 PST 2017

 > Bruce Dubbs wrote:
Allard Welter wrote:

> Continued

"5.3

Finally, two last important items must be emphasized:
              ^^^^
Finally, two important items must be emphasized:

("Finally" and "two last" say the same thing.)"

Will be fixed in next version.

---
"5.5.1

gcc toolchain:
In case the above seems hard to follow, let's break it down a bit. First we
copy the files gcc/config/linux.h, gcc/config/i386/linux.h, and
gcc/config/i368/linux64.h.

No full stop after linux64.h"

OK

---

"In conjunction with the sysroot switch, this would translate normally ...

normally translate?"

OK

---
"6.1.1

In the procedures in Chapter 6, we remove or disable installation of most
static libraries. In a few cases, especially glibc and gcc, the use of
static libraries remains essential to the general package building
process. Usually this is done by passing a --disable-static option to
configure. In other cases, alternate means are needed.

Interchange 2nd and last two sentences? Usually _this_ is ... would make
more sense closer to what the this is. The second sentence is really the
most important, perhaps end with this."

I think the first sentence is the most important, but agree with your
reordering of the paragraph.

---
"6.9.1

Some of the Glibc programs use non-FHS compilant /var/db directory
                               ^        ^^^^^^^^^
Some of the Glibc programs use the non-FHS compilant /var/db directory"

OK

---

"This option increases system security by adding a known canary (a random
integer) to the stack during a function preamble, and checks it when the
function returns. If it changed, there was a stack overflow, and the program
aborts.

This sentence is difficult to follow. This from info gcc is much clearer:

'-fstack-protector'
      Emit extra code to check for buffer overflows, such as stack
      smashing attacks.  This is done by adding a guard variable to
      functions with vulnerable objects.  This includes functions that
      call 'alloca', and functions with buffers larger than 8 bytes.  The
      guards are initialized when a function is entered and then checked
      when the function exits.  If a guard check fails, an error message
      is printed and the program exits."

I will put in a compromise:

    This option increases system security by adding
    extra code to check for buffer overflows, such as stack
    smashing attacks.

The extra information just says what is happening, but it is
not really appropriate in LFS to state how it does it.

---

"Generally a few tests do not pass, but you can generally ignore any of
the test failures listed below.

Two times generally. Maybe ...

Generally a few tests do not pass. The test failures listed below are
usually safe to ignore."

Yes, I generally overuse generally...

I like your rewording.

---
"6.13

Aids in the consistency of user interface across discrete programs that
need to provide a command line interface

Bit of a mouthful. Some suggestions (with help from the readline docs) ...

libhistory: Provides history expansion.

libreadline: Provides a set of commands for manipulating text entered in
an interactive session of a program."

I think what we have for libhistory is OK, but will use your suggestion
for libreadline.

---
"6.14.2
copies the given files ...

copies -> Copies"

OK

---
"6.15.2

bc: is a command line calculator
dc: is a reverse-polish command line calculator
     ^^^^
bc: A command line calculator
dc: A reverse-polish command line calculator"

We do need to be more consistent in our Short Descriptions.

---
"6.16.1

One test, debug_msg.sh, is known to fail.

There are 57 expected failures, but no unexpected failures. Why mention
this particular one?"

Because it is not expected.

---
"6.20.1

What is the significance of the note regarding limits.h?"

It was an issue at one time, but I'll remove it.

---

"Any issues will need to be resolved before continuing on with the process.
                                                       ^^
Any issues will need to be resolved before continuing with the process."

OK.

---
"6.22.2

pkg-config: returns meta information for the specified library or package
             ^
pkg-config: Returns meta information for the specified library or package"

OK

---
"6.26.2

Consistency has applications listed before libraries"

OK

to be continued