[lfs-dev] LFS partition size

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat May 14 09:02:57 PDT 2016

Pierre Labastie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The "Creating a new partition" page tells that a partion of about 4GB is
> enough for building LFS. It seem that it is no longer true. A jhalfs build
> I've done to answer a question from Douglas, run out space during GCC tests on
> a 5.8 GB partition. I am not sure exactly what is needed, but at least 6 GB
> seem to be needed.
> Book version: recent SVN (with GCC 6).

Interesting.  In the past, the largest build was glibc and I could do that
in, IIRC, something like 2.3G.  Right now, my latest build with jhalfs and
tools present is 3.1G, but that does not include any transient files and
does not include a kernel build.

What I'll do on my next build is to run a script that measures disk usage
every few seconds and log the output.  I probably need to go ahead and
update LFS anyway.  There are only 4 packages that need to be update and
they are all pretty routine.

   -- Bruce