[lfs-dev] alpha-level iso for current lfs-dev version

Richard Melville richard.melville69 at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 17 14:40:18 PDT 2016

On 14 June 2016 at 07:37, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've created an iso that may be useful as a proof-of-concept.
>
> The file is
>
> http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/~bdubbs/files/lfs-usb.iso.xz
>
> It is 866M and needs to be decompressed before using.  The expanded size is
> 4.2 GB (not GiB).
>
> It is not much.  It is only a base LFS system targeting x86_64.  It does
> have the sources included as well as /tools and /jhalfs.
>
> After decompression, use 'dd of=/dev/<usb-drive> if=lfs-usb.iso BS=1MB'
>
> The drive should be be bootable.  It has a GPT partition table with two
> partitions.  The first is 1 MiB and is for Grub.  The second is the system.
> There is no swap partition.
>
> The only user is root and the password is lfs.
>
> There are no guarantees this will work at all, but if you have the time and
> inclination, it will be interesting to see if others can get this to work.
>
> Note that this is NOT suitable for a DVD.
>
> If you have the time and inclination, I'd like to see if others can get this
> to work.

Bruce, I've given it a spin but no go.  When I attempt to boot from it
I get a kernel panic.  When I boot from the host and check the device
with gdisk It returns:-

GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.8

Warning! Disk size is smaller than the main header indicates! Loading
secondary header from the last sector of the disk! You should use 'v' to
verify disk integrity, and perhaps options on the experts' menu to repair
the disk.
Caution: invalid backup GPT header, but valid main header; regenerating
backup header from main header.

Warning! One or more CRCs don't match. You should repair the disk!

Partition table scan:
  MBR: protective
  BSD: not present
  APM: not present
  GPT: damaged

Caution: Found protective or hybrid MBR and corrupt GPT. Using GPT, but disk
verification and recovery are STRONGLY recommended.

I've tried all the gdisk suggestions but to no avail.  It's an older
version of gptdisk than the current BLFS version; I don't know if that
matters.  The partition table looks OK:-

Disk /dev/sdc: 15240576 sectors, 7.3 GiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): 1A6C8E1A-791C-4407-A0CD-CDEFC9989092
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 15265750
Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries
Total free space is 6875061 sectors (3.3 GiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1            2048            4095   1024.0 KiB  EF02  BIOS boot partition
   2            4096         8392703   4.0 GiB     8300  lfs-usb

Any ideas?  The host is an old Toshiba Satellite, running 64bit Linux
Mint.  It seemed sensible to try it on something that wasn't related
in any way to BLFS.

Richard