[lfs-dev] Thinking about a new LFS Live CD/iso

Thomas Trepl thomas at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jun 12 07:30:56 PDT 2016

Am Montag, den 18.04.2016, 15:24 -0500 schrieb Bruce Dubbs:
> I've been thinking thinking about a new Live CD/Rescue CD based on
> LFS.
> It would be much less ambitious than the old one that included an X
> implementation.
>
> What I had in mind is a base LFS system with the following:
>
> dhcpcd
> wget
> ssh/ssl
> which
> links
> screen
> mc
> gptfdisk
> gpm
> LFS HTML
> LFS sources tarball
>
> What else?  Other possibilities:
> unzip
> subversion
> git
> wireless-tools
> wpa-supplicant
>
>    -- Bruce

A new "offical" CD would be great but should not introduce too much
changes in the LFS system. On my wishlist would be that the CD could be
built from a clean, fresh compiled LFS, adding some additional BLFS
packages like

networking
  dhcpcd, wget, openssl, openssh (as daemon, not only the client),
  rpcbind, nfs-{utils,client}, wpa-supplicant, wireless-tools

development
  (all whats needed for LFS), cvs, subversion, git, jhalfs

editors
  nano, vim, joe

A graphical env is cool and usefull but it needs not to be full blown
with every characterset existing on that earth and every language
supported. English is the common base, and if there is an option to set
the keyboard layout then its fine. For version 1.0, its not required at
all and the question is, should the CD be another SystemRescueCD or
will we have a working CD built in the "LFS way" ?

Before the CD exists, it would be very interesting to see a "How to
build a Live-CD". If a user finally can put the bricks together and
(re)build the CD, than it's no longer a very important question which
packages are included. The user her/himself can remaster it on their
own.
Working thru the book is telling the user how things work. I that all
has been understood, many users starts to add additional packages like
dhcp clients or such in their "chapter-6" before they are going to
boot. The added packages are not documented in the LFS book (maybe in
the BLFS book they are) but the important thing is that the user knows
how to deal with them.
I dream of something like that for the CD. When the official CD is not
sufficient for me, I'll find a documentation how the CD is made and can
easily (more or less) rebuild the CD to my taste.

Long text short: a CD-book not a CD-image ;-)

--
Thomas