[lfs-dev] /me hates static libs

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Feb 23 21:57:42 PST 2016

You all know that I have an aversion to static libs, apart from those
created within a package and only used by that package.  But for
anybody who shares that aversion, this is perhaps worth noting:
libmvec_nonshared.a is now required.

I first saw this on my -rc1 system : I had stopped that build after
libreoffice, fixed glibc (2.22 with the patch), and then eventually
resumed the build with some AV libs.  When I saw this, at the second
package I figured it was probably like libc_nonshared.a : I kept it
available and continued happily.  I then built a fairly-full -rc2
system using -rc1 as the host.

Now I'm on another machine, doing a differnet build (kde4 : hopefully
for the last time) - got as far a gcc pass 1 and it died bacause I
had moved libmvec_nonshared.a to a different name back in the day.

For those of you who don't care about static libs: well, no problem,
but how do you know which of them have been included in your
binaries ?  (Yeah, I'm trying to discourage you ;-)

Have fun with your builds.  Share and enjoy! (sometimes translated
as 'Go stick your head in a pig').

ĸen