[lfs-dev] Odd grub error in -rc2

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Feb 23 06:42:22 PST 2016

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 09:52:29PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> >
> >But when I booted rc2 I got a grub error message about a missing
> >module - didn't have a pen, but it was something like gpt2_part.
> >After that, I had to press enter to continue booting.  I'm now in,
> >and everything seems fine - but obviously I would like to get rid
> >of that error so that all I have to do is select the right kernel.
> >For the moment, I'll continue until I have a graphical browser
> >before I look at google.
>
> You don't say the contents of grub.cfg.  Mine is:

Doh!  PEBKAC

I must have had an accident editing grub.cfg, the part I copied had

menuentry "LFS-7.9-rc1 4.4.1 (sda6) with early microcode" {
        insmod part_gpt
        insmod ext2
        set root='hd0,gpt2'
        linux   /vmlinuz-4.4.1-sda6 root=/dev/sda6 ro
        initrd  /microcode.img
}

but what is in the added part is

submenu "LFS-7.9-rc2-G (gnome) - sda8 menu" {

menuentry "LFS-7.9-rc2 4.4.2 (sda8) with early microcode" {
        insmod part_gpt2
                       ^
        insmod ext2
        set root='hd0,gpt2'
        linux   /vmlinuz-4.4.2-sda8 root=/dev/sda8 ro
        initrd  /microcode.img
}

} # end of sda8 menu

Interesting that grub nevertheless managed to load the kernel, i.e.
it must have inserted the part_gpt module itself.  A quick look at
what you put shows that you seem to not specify the modules I
insmod.

ĸen