[lfs-dev] glibc-2.23

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Feb 21 01:27:50 PST 2016

On 2/20/2016 11:33 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> The first time I built LFS in qemu I thought I did something wrong.
>  From 'power on' to login prompt was about 2 seconds.
>
> I have found that building LFS in qemu takes about 150% of the time on
> HW.  I don't know if I set things up properly or not.  What I use is
> usually some variation of:
>
> qemu -enable-kvm -boot c \
>       -drive file=/mnt/qemu/deb71.img \
>       -drive file=/mnt/qemu/lfs.img \
>       -m 2G \
>       -cpu host \
>       -smp 2 \
>       -vga std \
>       -net nic -net bridge \
>       -machine type=pc,accel=kvm
>
> But I haven't done this recently.

I don't use it directly, I use libvirtd (with vmm). I know converting a
vmm generated xml file to qemu-argv makes a really ugly command line,
about 50 lines (assuming one argument per line, it's 27 lines in 80x24
term). I'll have to do a comparison between native and kvm at some
point. There should be some performance penalty, but 50% does seem like
an awful lot. I do know that switching only the virtio driver for disk
fixed some minor stutter issues I had with linux guests a couple of
years back (both using raw device), short hangs at cli when typing,
momentary paused make output, etc. CLI for qemu would probably be
something like -device=virtio to each hardware argument.

--DJ