[lfs-dev] odd file in /tmp in chroot

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Feb 15 12:54:22 PST 2016

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 02:01:14PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> >I've got a problem with my logging, still investigating that, but
> >then I took a look at /tmp to see what as there, and was surprised to
> >find one enormous (2.1G) file, as well as the expected scattering of
> >others:
> >
> >root in chroot /# ls -lh /tmp
> >total 200K
> >-rw------- 1 root   root      32 Feb 15 05:15 YAML-Tiny-test-QHKFls3Y
> >-rw------- 1 root   root      26 Feb 15 05:15 YAML-Tiny-test-fPFvtzCg
> >-rw------- 1 root   root      30 Feb 15 05:15 YAML-Tiny-test-jbg0BvJ0
> >-rw------- 1 root   root       0 Feb 15 04:11 aio0QaEpI
> >-rw------- 1 root   root       0 Feb 15 04:11 aioYLpYwQ
> >-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody nogroup   21 Feb 15 05:05 bashenv
> >-rw------- 1 root   root       0 Feb 15 04:25 cc7JshyL.o
> >-rw------- 1 root   root     453 Feb 15 04:50 cc7cj4Kf
> >-rw------- 1 root   root      39 Feb 15 04:50 ccBaFW7h
> >-rw------- 1 root   root      21 Feb 15 04:50 ccOxN3Zf
> >-rw------- 1 root   root     430 Feb 15 04:50 ccb5wFvq
> >-rw------- 1 root   root       0 Feb 15 04:25 ccmGb7iH.c
> >-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root      78 Feb 15 05:47 err
> >-rw------- 1 root   root       0 Feb 15 04:06 fcntlcoBGdC
> >-rw------- 1 root   root    2.1G Feb 15 04:06 lfsRZmWho
> >                           ^^^^^^^^
> >-rw------- 1 root   root       0 Feb 15 04:01 manpages-checksULlz
> >-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody nogroup    0 Feb 15 05:05 notwrite
> >-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root    9.8K Feb 15 05:47 out
> >-rw------- 1 root   root    135K Feb 15 16:41 tmp.QROQEYbWSY
> >
> >(that one is mine, from trying to debug my logging)
> >
> >-rw------- 1 nobody nogroup    0 Feb 15 05:56 ultest-logger-errors-OdDoKz
> >-rw------- 1 nobody nogroup    0 Feb 15 05:56 ultest-logger-formats-Sy3ynU
> >-rw------- 1 nobody nogroup    0 Feb 15 05:56 ultest-logger-options-yedo14
> >-rw------- 1 root   root    3.4K Feb 15 04:20 utmp9Xydch
> >-rw------- 1 root   root    3.4K Feb 15 04:20 utmptYM5zo
> >-rw------- 1 root   root      76 Feb 15 05:15 yAhhAazv1D
> >
> >The lfsRZmWho file looks as if it came from glibc, and strings
> >indicates it only contains 'Hello'.  For most people, just a
> >curiosity (I'm sure the name is random), but I mount /tmp as a tmpfs
> >on a normal system, so I'm likely to throw away 2GB by not cleaning
> >it.
>
> I have just finished a few basic BLFS packages in 7.9-rc1 chroot.  My
> technique is to build BLFS packages in /tmp, so what I have there right now
> is:
>
> $ ls /mnt/lfs/tmp -a
> .  ..  gnutls  libffi  libtasn1  lsb-release  nettle  openssl  p11-kit sudo
> wget  which
>
> I would say that most of those packages you have are artifacts of your
> scripts.  I have seen cc* files before generated by some packages.
>
> Try to figure out what was happening at Feb 15 04:06.
>
>   -- Bruce

As far as I can tell, glibc was being built, and 'Hello' does not
seem to appear in my glibc script.  Yes, it may well be an artifact
of my scripts - I think I need to look at the host when that fs is
not in use, to see if that is where much of the space in '/' has
gone.

I'll start a new thread about the logging problem, at the moment it
looks more serious - but possibly I'm misusing grep.

ĸen