[lfs-dev] odd file in /tmp in chroot

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 12:01:14 PST 2016

Ken Moffat wrote:
> I've got a problem with my logging, still investigating that, but
> then I took a look at /tmp to see what as there, and was surprised to
> find one enormous (2.1G) file, as well as the expected scattering of
> others:
>
> root in chroot /# ls -lh /tmp
> total 200K
> -rw------- 1 root   root      32 Feb 15 05:15 YAML-Tiny-test-QHKFls3Y
> -rw------- 1 root   root      26 Feb 15 05:15 YAML-Tiny-test-fPFvtzCg
> -rw------- 1 root   root      30 Feb 15 05:15 YAML-Tiny-test-jbg0BvJ0
> -rw------- 1 root   root       0 Feb 15 04:11 aio0QaEpI
> -rw------- 1 root   root       0 Feb 15 04:11 aioYLpYwQ
> -rw-r--r-- 1 nobody nogroup   21 Feb 15 05:05 bashenv
> -rw------- 1 root   root       0 Feb 15 04:25 cc7JshyL.o
> -rw------- 1 root   root     453 Feb 15 04:50 cc7cj4Kf
> -rw------- 1 root   root      39 Feb 15 04:50 ccBaFW7h
> -rw------- 1 root   root      21 Feb 15 04:50 ccOxN3Zf
> -rw------- 1 root   root     430 Feb 15 04:50 ccb5wFvq
> -rw------- 1 root   root       0 Feb 15 04:25 ccmGb7iH.c
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root   root      78 Feb 15 05:47 err
> -rw------- 1 root   root       0 Feb 15 04:06 fcntlcoBGdC
> -rw------- 1 root   root    2.1G Feb 15 04:06 lfsRZmWho
>                            ^^^^^^^^
> -rw------- 1 root   root       0 Feb 15 04:01 manpages-checksULlz
> -rw-r--r-- 1 nobody nogroup    0 Feb 15 05:05 notwrite
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root   root    9.8K Feb 15 05:47 out
> -rw------- 1 root   root    135K Feb 15 16:41 tmp.QROQEYbWSY
>
> (that one is mine, from trying to debug my logging)
>
> -rw------- 1 nobody nogroup    0 Feb 15 05:56 ultest-logger-errors-OdDoKz
> -rw------- 1 nobody nogroup    0 Feb 15 05:56 ultest-logger-formats-Sy3ynU
> -rw------- 1 nobody nogroup    0 Feb 15 05:56 ultest-logger-options-yedo14
> -rw------- 1 root   root    3.4K Feb 15 04:20 utmp9Xydch
> -rw------- 1 root   root    3.4K Feb 15 04:20 utmptYM5zo
> -rw------- 1 root   root      76 Feb 15 05:15 yAhhAazv1D
>
> The lfsRZmWho file looks as if it came from glibc, and strings
> indicates it only contains 'Hello'.  For most people, just a
> curiosity (I'm sure the name is random), but I mount /tmp as a tmpfs
> on a normal system, so I'm likely to throw away 2GB by not cleaning
> it.

I have just finished a few basic BLFS packages in 7.9-rc1 chroot.  My
technique is to build BLFS packages in /tmp, so what I have there right
now is:

$ ls /mnt/lfs/tmp -a
.  ..  gnutls  libffi  libtasn1  lsb-release  nettle  openssl  p11-kit
sudo  wget  which

I would say that most of those packages you have are artifacts of your
scripts.  I have seen cc* files before generated by some packages.

Try to figure out what was happening at Feb 15 04:06.

   -- Bruce