[lfs-dev] Upcoming glibc

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Feb 14 13:15:12 PST 2016

On 2/14/2016 12:26 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> DJ Lucas wrote:
>>

>> On 2/14/2016 11:33 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>> I just found out this morning that glibc-2.23 is to be released soon.
>>> Looking at https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Release/2.23, it looks like
>>> most of their objectives for the release have been made.
>>>
>>> Right now I'm building a full LFS at -j1 for size and time statistics
>>> and have been planning to go through the release process today for
>>> 7.9-rc1.
>>>
>>> The question is whether we should wait for the latest glibc?  I'm not
>>> 100% comfortable about updating a critical package just before release.
>>> Waiting will certainly push back the stable release.
>>>
>>> There are some security bugs fixed in the latest version:
>>>
>>>     https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2016-01/msg00535.html
>>>
>>> but they look pretty esoteric to me.
>
>> It's been a while for me. Initially, I'm also thinking to hold the glibc
>> upgrade until after release, but want to know what the release cycle is
>> like now days. Are we talking 1 week RCs?
>
> Generally it is about two weeks.  We build all of BLFS against lfs-rc
> and release LFS/BLFS together.  It takes two weeks to build everything.
> In the past we have waited for glibc and occasionally other BLFS packages.
>
> The problem is that whenever we freeze, there is always some package
> that is a day or two away from a new version.
>
>    -- Bruce

Thanks for the response. I thought about it for a few hours. Obviously
the big worry is that the stable books will be out of date on release
day (and will be for 6 months), but this isn't any different than most
distros. Can we really deem glibc "stable" with only two weeks building
and testing? My _opinion_ is stay with the current version.

--DJ