[lfs-dev] Installed file is duplicated (/usr/share/man/man3/getspnam.3)

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Fri Feb 12 11:33:07 PST 2016

On 02/12/2016 02:17 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Daniel Schepler wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 9:40 AM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> The shadow version is installed last and overwrites the man pages
>>> version.
>>> That is appropriate.  There is no reason to suppress the man-pages
>>> version.
>>
>> It does create a conflict if you're using the
>> one-user-per-source-package hint, or one of the hints to incorporate a
>> package manager like dpkg into the process.
>
> We have never made changes to support any package managers.  I really do
> not want to start.  I'm afraid that would lead to lots changes that are
> not needed for most users.
>
>    -- Bruce

A few points:

1) Even assuming you see this just as something for supporting package
managers, it does not cause any issues if you are also *not* using a
package manager.

2) The book generally should not depend on files just being overwritten
by other packages, and in fact there is precedent in the book for
avoiding this. See, for example, --disable-kill in procps-ng to favor
the version installed by util-linux.