[lfs-dev] Coreutils 8.25 i18n patch breaks cut

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Feb 8 19:22:42 PST 2016

On 2/7/2016 10:27 PM, Chris Staub wrote:

> The problem is that the "cut" program isn't giving the expected output.
> After some further experimentation, and checking with William Harrington
> in IRC who got the same results, this problem only occurs when using
> Coreutils 8.25 with the i18n patch that's in LFS.

SUSE has a considerably different set of patches for 8.25. This
particular issue is resolved by substituting the SUSE MB patch for the
MB patch provided by RH, but I'm not sure what kind of coverage we'll
have from this one. It's considerably different than the direction that
RedHat is taking (mentioned in my previous post), but less invasive that
the one we've used previously (no additional library - probably won't
have to do UNSAFE_CONFIGURE make check, but didn't test that way).
Anyway, test results look good (from a partially completed system with
additional deps):

Testsuite summary for GNU coreutils 8.25
# TOTAL: 30
# PASS:  23
# SKIP:  7
# XFAIL: 0
# FAIL:  0
# XPASS: 0
# ERROR: 0
Testsuite summary for GNU coreutils 8.25
# TOTAL: 583
# PASS:  469
# SKIP:  114
# XFAIL: 0
# FAIL:  0
# XPASS: 0
# ERROR: 0
Testsuite summary for GNU coreutils 8.25
# TOTAL: 308
# PASS:  296
# SKIP:  12
# XFAIL: 0
# FAIL:  0
# XPASS: 0
# ERROR: 0

Options (as I see it):

1. Use the SUSE patch as is and keep an eye on upstream
2. Use the main RedHat patch (since we have a history with it) and grab
patches for cut, expand, and unexpand (the suspect ones from RH) from
the SUSE patch (SUSE patch is not dependent on additional libs).
3. Kill cut patch (and possibly expand/unexpand).

I'm going to give the SUSE patch a shot. I'll run it through jhalfs
tonight. Wanna get in a test run with new grep and texinfo anyway. Will
upload the rediffed SUSE patch in a sec (can always kill it or increment
if one of the other options is selected).

--DJ