[lfs-dev] Change proposal - move external build directories

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 13:02:11 PST 2016

Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> On 2016-01-23 00:38, William Harrington wrote:
>> On Fri, January 22, 2016 18:54, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>> I'm thinking about changing the way we build packages in separate
>>> directories.  What we do now for tool chain packages is:
>>>
>>> mkdir -v ../binutils-build
>>> cd ../binutils-build
>>>
>>> ../binutils-2.25.1/configure  ...
>>>

>>> I'm thinking about changing that to:
>>>
>>> mkdir -v build
>>> cd       build
>>>
>>> ../configure ...
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html
>>
>> "First, we highly recommend that GCC be built into a separate directory
>> from the sources which does not reside within the source tree. This is how
>> we generally build GCC; building where srcdir == objdir should still work,
>> but doesn't get extensive testing; building where objdir is a subdirectory
>> of srcdir is unsupported."
>>

> An additional reason for settling on ../binutils-build was that the source
> tree can be reused since gcc, binutils and glibc are built multiple times
> (ch 5 and 6).

Three things.  First, we do not recommend reusing the source tree for any
build.  Second, the build/ directory within the source tree can still be
deleted.  Third, and this goes back to the first reason, glibc modifies
files in the source tree no matter where the build directory is located.

"Please note that even though you’re building in a separate build
directory, the compilation may need to create or modify files and
directories in the source directory."

   -- Bruce