[lfs-dev] 6.17. GCC-6.2.0 - purpose of the -k parameter in make -k check

Wayne Blaszczyk wblaszcz at bigpond.net.au
Wed Aug 31 01:49:38 PDT 2016

On Tue, 2016-08-30 at 22:02 -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:

> > > We do not give any recipe for autogen, so it is assumed that it is
> > > not installed, hence the "-k", to prevent "make check" from failing
> > > early.
>
> > Yes, but should that not be explained in the text? i.e. Why we are doing it.
>
> We don't explain every option for every command.  It should be fairly easy
> to 'man make':
>
> -k, --keep-going
>              Continue  as  much  as  possible  after an error.  While the
> target that failed, and those that depend on it, cannot be remade, the
> other dependencies of  these  targets can be processed all the same.
>
>    -- Bruce

I'm not saying what option -k does, but why we are we doing it. man is not going to tell you why.  If it's because autotools is not installed and it is a dependency for this target, then it should be
stated rather than saying bypass any errors. I just thought it might be beneficial as a learning point.

Regards,
Wayne.