[lfs-dev] 6.17. GCC-6.2.0 - purpose of the -k parameter in make -k check

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 20:02:19 PDT 2016

Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-08-30 at 14:45 +0200, Pierre Labastie wrote:
>> On 30/08/2016 11:28, Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm curious on what the intent of having the -k parameter in make -k check.
>>> To this point in time I always thought it was to continue with the tests even
>>>    after unexpected test failures. But after removing the -k, the only error I got early on was
>>>
>>> autogen -T ../../fixincludes/check.tpl ../../fixincludes/inclhack.def
>>> make[2]: autogen: Command not found
>>>
>>> which caused an early halt.
>>> With autogen installed, make check seemed to complete all the tests even though not all of them were successful.
>> We do not give any recipe for autogen, so it is assumed that it is
>> not installed, hence the "-k", to prevent "make check" from failing
>> early.

> Yes, but should that not be explained in the text? i.e. Why we are doing it.

We don't explain every option for every command.  It should be fairly easy
to 'man make':

-k, --keep-going
             Continue  as  much  as  possible  after an error.  While the
target that failed, and those that depend on it, cannot be remade, the
other dependencies of  these  targets can be processed all the same.

   -- Bruce