[lfs-dev] lfs-dev Digest, Vol 2681, Issue 1

Rical Jasan ricaljasan at pacific.net
Tue Aug 23 13:45:49 PDT 2016

On 08/22/2016 12:00 PM, lfs-dev-request at lists.linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
> Dear Tim, On 08/22/16 10:29, Tim Tassonis wrote:

>> > What  I truly wonder: was it really you that wrote this previous reply?
>> > I have no way to tell. Maybe we should start using S/MIME for email
>> > signing, whit everyone buying a SSS Client Certificate from a commercial
>> > vendor?
>> >
>> > We then also have to fully protect the server's private key, so nobody
>> > can steal it and run a fake LFS server with faulty recipes for glibc,
>> > gcc and binutils, and trick everyone by clever dns cache poisining
>> > attacks. We definitely have to implement secure DNSSEC first. As systemd's
>> > networkd provides that, we should soon all be ok.
>> >
> I’d agree that using GPG or S/MIME for email would be a good practice,
> and improve the overall situation.
>
> But I think you reply is besides the point. While setting up secure
> access over HTTPS is not perfect, it improves the current situation in
> my opinion.
>
> How much people trust this new way of accessing the Web site, is up to them.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Paul

From my initial draft, which didn't reach you because I forgot one had
to be subscribed to post:

    If it's a statement, because the whole SSL certificate business is
    little more than a racket, I understand.  If that's the case, let me
    know, and say no more.

My offer to provide a certificate is based on the same sentiment Paul
voiced, however.  While it may not provide perfect authentication, it
provides some level of it, and not less than currently exists.

Rical