[lfs-dev] Preparing for 7.10 package freeze

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 11:12:47 PDT 2016

I have just committed an update to LFS that clears all the tickets for the
book.  The package freeze is scheduled for two days from now and  I know
of no impending upstream releases between now and then.

If anyone has any changes that need to be addressed, please post them here
or open a ticket.

I do have one concern that I'd like to discuss.  When doing an update, I
usually build the entire LFS system, including all checks in Chapter 6.  I
started this process last night, but the checks for perl hung for about
six hours.  Killing the process and just re-running the perl build/checks
and continuing completed the rest of the build without further issue.

I've seen the perl tests hang before after glibc-2.24 was installed, but
not every time.  The fact that just rerunning the checks passes points to
a timing issue.  To me the most likely culprit is glibc, however I can't
be sure.

My first question here is whether anyone else has seen this problem?  The
second issue is how we should address it, if at all.

Suggestions welcome.

   -- Bruce