[lfs-dev] Why are static X libraries built?

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Thu Aug 11 06:14:47 PDT 2016

On Thu, August 11, 2016 09:41, Paul Menzel wrote:
> Dear LFS folks,
>

> When building libXrandr 1.5.0 [1] I see the following in the configure
> output.
>
> ```
> $ /dev/shm/bee-root/libXrandr/libXrandr-1.5.0-0/source/configure
> --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin
> --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --sysconfdir=/etc --sharedstatedir=/var
> --localstatedir=/var --libdir=/usr/lib --includedir=/usr/include
> --datarootdir=/usr/share --datadir=/usr/share --infodir=/usr/share/info
> --localedir=/usr/share/locale --mandir=/usr/share/man
> --docdir=/usr/share/doc/libXrandr --exec-prefix=/usr
> […]
> checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
> checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
> checking whether stripping libraries is possible... yes
> checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
> checking whether to build shared libraries... yes
> checking whether to build static libraries... yes
> […]
> ```
>
> For other packages, sometimes building static libraries is explicitly
> disabled with `--disable-static`. Could you please explain to me, why
> this is not done for the X server libraries. Thank you in advance.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Paul

Hello Paul,

It looks like configure didn't even use the XORG_CONFIG variable which is
setup toward the beginning of Xorg.

If you are using the script then it should be using: ./configure $XORG_CONFIG

Refer to http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/stable/x/xorg7.html for
stable or http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/x/xorg7.html for
development.

Sincerely,