[lfs-dev] Why are static X libraries built?

Paul Menzel pmenzel at molgen.mpg.de
Thu Aug 11 02:41:53 PDT 2016

Dear LFS folks,

When building libXrandr 1.5.0 [1] I see the following in the configure
output.

```
$ /dev/shm/bee-root/libXrandr/libXrandr-1.5.0-0/source/configure
--prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin
--libexecdir=/usr/libexec --sysconfdir=/etc --sharedstatedir=/var
--localstatedir=/var --libdir=/usr/lib --includedir=/usr/include
--datarootdir=/usr/share --datadir=/usr/share --infodir=/usr/share/info
--localedir=/usr/share/locale --mandir=/usr/share/man
--docdir=/usr/share/doc/libXrandr --exec-prefix=/usr
[…]
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
[…]
```

For other packages, sometimes building static libraries is explicitly
disabled with `--disable-static`. Could you please explain to me, why
this is not done for the X server libraries. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Paul

PS: I am sorry, if Mozilla Thunderbird wraped lines incorrectly.

[1] http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/x/x7lib.html