[lfs-dev] perl tests loop at 100% CPU in current SVN

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Aug 8 16:27:15 PDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 08, 2016 at 04:45:12PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 08, 2016 at 09:26:55PM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > >
> > > At the moment I suspect some of it might be down to an inopportune
> > > kernel config, but I suppose I got lucky in the manual run (test
> > > terminated after division by zero).  I'll give that another go, then
> > > think about changing my kernel config to be closer to the haswell.
> > >
> > Well, the test in chroot is still in lib/Benchmark, but the tests on
> > the host finished in 16m27 with only op/time.t failing.  Weird.
>
> I don't know what to say Ken.  From my log:
>
> All tests successful.
> Elapsed: 483 sec
> u=2.27  s=0.91  cu=207.90  cs=7.71  scripts=2242  tests=850411
>
> Run with -j1.
>
>   -- Bruce

Yes - I did get through the tests in the scripted chroot build of
20160527 with a 4.6.0 kernel - but after almost 2h45, and with the
same three failures.  The build then continued, until I noticed it
had got through perl - by that stage a segfault in /bin/sh during
the automake tests showed on the screen.

The times on this box will be much longer (it's AMD, and old with
slow memory and only SATA-2).

I've now booted the revised 4.7 config but I haven't yet tried
testing perl on the host.  I've got a few things to do in
spreadsheets, then I'll dig out a memtest86 CD.

This is the box which for years has segfaulted when compiling with
-j4, even building the kernel after a cold boot.  I have/had a theory
that perhaps the BIOS screws up the initialisation, so at the moment
I'm dropping caches before doing any builds, and -j4 has been fine.
Except, the repeat of perl was using -j1, but ISTR we force -j4 for
the automake tests so I might have blown that theory.

ĸen
for them.'     -- Small Gods