[lfs-dev] Fosdem

Julien Lepiller roptat at lepiller.eu
Mon Aug 8 13:06:45 PDT 2016

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 16:54:17 -0500
Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Julien Lepiller wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > As you may know, last year the french translation team had a stand
> > at Fosdem[1] and we presented the project to the public. We could
> > talk to many interested people. We would like to get a stand this
> > year too, and we have asked for one as applications are now open.
> >
> > Last year, we presented printed copies of the book in french and
> > english, and we were asked whether they were for sale. So we believe
> > that we could sell some this year (probably around 10 copies over
> > the week-end). Since the book's license is non-commercial, we would
> > like to get permission to sell them during the event, for the price
> > they cost us to print.
> >
> > In any case, if you are around at that time, feel free to join.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Julien Lepiller
> >
> > --
> > [1]: https://fosdem.org/2017/
> >

> Since you are selling at cost, I don't consider that commercial.  It
> falls into the category of fair use.
>
> I do not recall anything about your impression of last year's event.
> Do you have anything you can add to the above?
>
>    -- Bruce

Sorry for the delay, it's quite difficult to remember everything that
happened 6 months ago.

I can tell you it was not as cold as my first Fosdem, but it rained
almost as much. That was a fun event nevertheless since we could gather
with Jean-Phillipe and Amaury (we need more people this year!), and a
few french friends not directly related to LFS itself. We had a few
tips from the perl guys who had an amazing collection of books. We had
a lot of visitors. Mostly students who were intrigued by the project or
older people who shared their experience as LFS users ten years ago.
That was fun :).

We had printed versions of the books (LFS and BLFS, each one in french
and english) to show people (and because we wanted to see it). Each one
was a few centimeters thick and that was amazing. We also had a thousand
stickers, all gone during the last afternoon. Concerning these, we may
have to make a better version, with a website link for instance. I had
to rush because the idea came very late. If you have any idea, please
share.

On the food side of things we were quite unlucky. One of the restaurant
was so full of people we had to wait an hour after we ordered (though
the food was good), and another was lame. We will choose more wisely
next time ;). Anyway, we ate waffles as compensation.

During the event, Jean-Phillipe was interviewed by a web radio (I can't
remember which one). I could show off with my LFS system too. I
attended some very good speaches when "off-duty", except for my most
anticipated one about virtualization and containers because there was
too many people (and they lost the recording!). Anyway, I had fun
talking about LFS, getting impressions and views from other people of
all nationality (mostly german, french and belgian), occupation
(developpers, lawyers, ...), and age (we have very young fans ;)).

Once again, please come and have fun with us this time!

Regards,
Julien Lepiller