[lfs-dev] gcc test failures with current svn

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 13:19:57 PDT 2016

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 07, 2016 at 02:28:52PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>
>> Romain, you do know that we run the gcc tests in a limited chroot
>> environment where gdb is not available, right?  Shouldn't the tests that
>> need gdb just be skipped?
>>
> Arghh!  I build gdb and strace on my gold builds so that I can debug
> build failures if any happen in the BLFS packages I need to build
> before booting.
>
> So, I've got choices - build like the book (boring, but it will
> determine if I can get through the perl tests) and drop gdb but
> keep gold : I'll try that if doing it by the book completes and
> boots.
>
> /me wishes he'd started a build before you updated glibc and
> binutils, it might have been easier :)

You might want to start using jhalfs for tests.  I understand you want to
experiment a bit, but if you want to revert, you can just point it to a
different, or modified, version of the book.

I admit I have a pretty fast system. but the other day I did a build at
-j10 without any tests and it only took 48 minutes for everything except
actually building the kernel.  You can also modify the scripts manually
for individual packages and set breakpoints.

I am not suggesting that you change your overall methodology, but perhaps
add another tool to your toolbox.

My basic method is:

Make changes to the book in my sandbox
Build the book
# Umount any current virt fs & erase everything on /mnt/lfs except sources
sh clean-mnt-lfs.sh
cd ~/jhalfs
make
cd /mnt/lfs/jhalfs