[lfs-dev] gcc test failures with current svn

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 12:58:48 PDT 2016

Romain Geissler wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Aug 2016, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
>> Romain, you do know that we run the gcc tests in a limited chroot
>> environment where gdb is not available, right?  Shouldn't the tests that
>> need gdb just be skipped?
>
> Yes I know. Indeed if gdb is not installed yet at this stage, then the
> gcc testsuite should automatically skip these tests. So I guess Ken did
> not follow the LFS guidelines by the book. ;)
>
> For me LFS was a very good inspiration, however I definitely do not
> follow it "by the book". I am using it to bootstrap a GNU toolchain (so
> only gcc/glibc/binutils), and in my script, I never chroot. I rely on
> the system for everything else than the GNU toolchain, and my system has
> gdb installed, that's why, in my case, "guality" tests are run. I have
> well understood that you don't not provide support for people who don't
> follow exactly the LFS guidelines, but I am not looking for support,
> just trying to explain some issues I have run into myself.

We do appreciate your input.  The idea of the books is to teach, but it
also provides a foundation for experimentation beyond what is in the
books.  Sometimes we can help when users experiment, but the demands of
upstream changes mean that we do not have a lot of time to help when those
experiments go awry.

   -- Bruce