[lfs-dev] gcc test failures with current svn

Romain Geissler romain.geissler at amadeus.com
Sun Aug 7 12:38:42 PDT 2016

On Sun, 7 Aug 2016, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Romain, you do know that we run the gcc tests in a limited chroot
> environment where gdb is not available, right?  Shouldn't the tests that
> need gdb just be skipped?

Yes I know. Indeed if gdb is not installed yet at this stage, then the
gcc testsuite should automatically skip these tests. So I guess Ken did
not follow the LFS guidelines by the book. ;)

For me LFS was a very good inspiration, however I definitely do not
follow it "by the book". I am using it to bootstrap a GNU toolchain (so
only gcc/glibc/binutils), and in my script, I never chroot. I rely on
the system for everything else than the GNU toolchain, and my system has
gdb installed, that's why, in my case, "guality" tests are run. I have
well understood that you don't not provide support for people who don't
follow exactly the LFS guidelines, but I am not looking for support,
just trying to explain some issues I have run into myself.

Cheers,
Romain