[lfs-dev] Killing the /lib64 symlinks

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Sun Aug 7 12:29:29 PDT 2016

On Sat, 6 Aug 2016 12:53:38 -0500
DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Is there any reason we modify the linker configuration for all targets
> and arch? Realistically, we only need to modify
> gcc/config/i386/linux{,64}.h in LFS, and even then, only for GLIBC. The
> gcc/config/linux.h file is only for uclibc and bionic (Android), and
> musl (?) gets redefined in the arch specific target. Is there any reason
> to continue to modify all of those files in LFS? The sed commands get a
> lot cleaner if we only modify the needed files.
>
> --DJ

Hello DJ,

A lot of people use LFS not only for i386 and AMD64. ARM and PPC comes to mind. Editing all targets is ideal. If LFS wants to go to /lib for AMD64, then review the CLFS pure64 bit patches for GCC, and our GLIBC instructions up to configure. We have used /lib ever since x86_64 and 2005. However, the way LFS is right now, when a user wants to include multilib, it isn't such a hassle. With using /lib, then the whole build needs redone, and not just a few changes after finishing LFS. Review Martin Ward's notes about adding mulitlib after LFS is built at his github or home directory at the LFS server.

Also, with AMD64, some targets will still install their libs into lib64. Example is e2fsprogs.

Also, with sysroot, there is a way to build all of LFS without the /tools link, too. There are some issues still to be ironed out, but Chris was working on it long ago. View the CLFS trac tickets for more info.

Sincerely,
William Harrington