[lfs-dev] Killing the /lib64 symlinks (Was: Re: [blfs-dev] [blfs-book] r17603 - in trunk/BOOK: . general/prog introduction/welcome x/installing x/lib)

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.net
Sat Aug 6 14:31:06 PDT 2016

On Sat, Aug 06, 2016 at 02:53:37PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> DJ Lucas wrote:

> >Is there any reason we modify the linker configuration for all targets and
> >arch? Realistically, we only need to modify gcc/config/i386/linux{,64}.h
> >in LFS, and even then, only for GLIBC. The gcc/config/linux.h file is only
> >for uclibc and bionic (Android), and musl (?) gets redefined in the arch
> >specific target. Is there any reason to continue to modify all of those
> >files in LFS? The sed commands get a lot cleaner if we only modify the
> >needed files.
>
> I'm reluctant to make such changes right now.  We are only a week away
> from package freeze for 7.10.
>
> In any case, exactly which files do you want to change?  Just gcc-pass2 in
> Chapter 5?  Or are there other places?
>
> BTW, I built Xorg without the /opt/lib64 symlink and everything was fine.
>  I think we can omit the last part of the Xorg setup:
>
> install -v -m755 -d $XORG_PREFIX &&
> install -v -m755 -d $XORG_PREFIX/lib &&
> ln -sf lib $XORG_PREFIX/lib64
>
> but I want to test it once more before committing a change.

Not sure on xorg (or maybe more relevant, any packages that depend on it
and also need to dump libs into its --libdir), but I really don't want to
change my system's lib path from /lib64 when I rebuild.

The reason is the dynamic linker.  I run a lot of precompiled binaries
(mostly unity-engine stuff from GoG), and they're all built to look for
ld-linux in /lib64, per the original AMD64 ABI.

So I think a symlink would still work.  But only having a /lib directory
only works if the user compiles every program they run, and that's not
possible for a bunch of programs.  :-/