[lfs-dev] Killing the /lib64 symlinks (Was: Re: [blfs-dev] [blfs-book] r17603 - in trunk/BOOK: . general/prog introduction/welcome x/installing x/lib)

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 12:53:37 PDT 2016

DJ Lucas wrote:

> On 07/24/2016 06:03 PM, Chris Staub wrote:

>>> I wouldn't mind seeing the /lib64 symliks go, but I'm not sure packages
>>> would install properly.  I think thy would just create the lib64
>>> directories and lead to some files in /lib and others in /lib64 even
>>> though all the libraries are for 64-bit systems.  This would need to be
>>> tested.
>>>
>>> Note that we create similar symlinks in /opt/xorg.
>>>

> Is there any reason we modify the linker configuration for all targets and
> arch? Realistically, we only need to modify gcc/config/i386/linux{,64}.h
> in LFS, and even then, only for GLIBC. The gcc/config/linux.h file is only
> for uclibc and bionic (Android), and musl (?) gets redefined in the arch
> specific target. Is there any reason to continue to modify all of those
> files in LFS? The sed commands get a lot cleaner if we only modify the
> needed files.

I'm reluctant to make such changes right now.  We are only a week away
from package freeze for 7.10.

In any case, exactly which files do you want to change?  Just gcc-pass2 in
Chapter 5?  Or are there other places?

BTW, I built Xorg without the /opt/lib64 symlink and everything was fine.
  I think we can omit the last part of the Xorg setup:

install -v -m755 -d $XORG_PREFIX &&
install -v -m755 -d $XORG_PREFIX/lib &&
ln -sf lib $XORG_PREFIX/lib64

but I want to test it once more before committing a change.

   -- Bruce