[lfs-dev] Binutils >= 2.27 and seg fault when using glibc pass 1

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 5 18:18:11 PDT 2016

On 08/05/2016 04:34 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Romain Geissler wrote:

>> On the other side, the LFS guidelines stricly force you to configure
>> glibc
>> pass 1 with the argument libc_cv_ctors_header=yes. If you dig more in the
>> configure script, you can actually notice that this is directly linked to
>> the fact that we use either the "old" or "new" constructor/destructor
>> format. I don't know why LFS initially adviced it's users to use
>> libc_cv_ctors_header=yes,

This dates back to 7.2, best I can gather, something to do with a change
in binutils-2.22, that ultimately broke gcc though glibc (presumably
similar to the current problem), probably when the feature was
introduced to binutils and the released gcc/glibc wasn't ready for it. I
had to use blame -r a few times to find it. 'svn diff -r 9786:9787' to
see it in context. This likely hasn't been needed for a while.

--DJ