[lfs-dev] Thinking about a new LFS Live CD/iso

Nick Gawronski nick at nickgawronski.com
Thu Apr 21 11:13:13 PDT 2016

Hi, The speakup screen reader is now in the staging area of the linux
kernel and should probably be built as modules or directly into the
kernel.  I know that in Debian the speakup_soft module is loaded into
the initrd if you install with speech then the espeakup program is
loaded after alsa to start the screen reader.  Personally I like using
speech-dispatcher and speechd-up yes they say on their web sites they
are outdated but they support more then just espeak. I get the fact that
not all users are blind so think if the live CD had no boot prompt
timeout and had a shortcut in the menu for starting speech for blind
users that is what the Debian discs do as well as have a beep at the
boot prompt the control+G at the beginning of the boot.msg file on the
disc.  Hope this helps some. Nick Gawronski