[lfs-dev] [blfs-dev] Thinking about a new LFS Live CD/iso

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 07:03:51 PDT 2016

Chris Staub wrote:
> (sending again, to both lists this time)
>
> On 04/18/2016 04:24 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> I've been thinking thinking about a new Live CD/Rescue CD based on LFS.
>> It would be much less ambitious than the old one that included an X
>> implementation.
>>
>> What I had in mind is a base LFS system with the following:
>>
>> gptfdisk
>>
> Current fdisk tools in util-linux should support gpt. Is there any
> advantage to gptfdisk now?

That's a personal thing.  I like the gptfdisk interface better.
Functionally they can both handle GPTs.

I did spend a day looking at what Jeremy H did in 2007 to build the iso.
I'm really quite impressed.  He has about 220 packages there, a GUI,
internationalization, etc.  The problem is that the Makefile needs all the
application versions and build instructions updated manually.  What I had
in mind was to take a jhalfs build and copy the binaries into place for
building the iso.  I still may be able to do the new iso, but I've gotten
busy with the daily update process (currently KDE which takes some time).
  I'd probably need to dedicate at least a week to get things right.

   -- Bruce