[lfs-dev] Thinking about a new LFS Live CD/iso

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 15:42:00 PDT 2016

Julius ter Pelkwijk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would certainly add some "rescue-tools" in there too, like memtest and
> hard drive diagnostics. A malware scanner is also handy to have (in case
> someone hijacked their harddrives and encrypted everything), rsync,
> ddrescue, an ntfs partition reader, maybe something to do BIOS flashing?
>
> For me, a "rescue-cd" would be similar to a swiss army knife: A lot of
> tools packed in a limited amount of space, usable to quickly diagnose the
> issue (hard drive problem, CPU problem, GPU problem or something else?) and
> a rescue option (hdd cloning, rescue software, etc.). I think it should
> also be able to start without connecting to the hdd itself (so no
> auto-mounting).

Please do not top post on this list.

Hmm, I hadn't considered memtest, but perhaps that's a good idea.  I was
really going for a fairly minimal system and I did not have an automatic
mounting of anything in mind.  I was not going to try to do both 32-bit
and 64-bit systems, at least to start off.  Just 64-bit.

I am not familiar with ddrescue.  I do not intend to put anything on the
system that is not in LFS/BLFS. but I suppose it would be reasonable to
have ntfs-3g, as well as reiserfsprogs, xfsprogs, LVM2, jfsutils, and
btrfs-progs.

   -- Bruce