[lfs-dev] gcc 5.1.0 test suite time out errors.

Laurence Dawson larry.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 05:24:17 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 10:26 PM, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 09:59:22PM -0500, Laurence Dawson wrote:
>> It's not particularly slow - the host is a decent laptop (i5, 2 core +
>> hyperthreading), 16G Ram. I only gave the vm 1g and 1 cpu, but wasn't doing
>> anything heavy apart from the lfs build at the time. The only part that
>> might look slow is the disk - I'm using virtual box dynamic expanding disk,
>> and if the test is expanding the amount of disk needed, then it might be
>> getting a slow response from the storage system.
>>
>> After reading a little about cilk, it is about parallel processing. I'm
>> wondering if the fact that I gave the vm a single cpu is causing it to
>> deadlock.
>>
> For running tests with gcc-5, anything more than -j1 has caused
> problems (random failures) on my machines so I now use -j1 for 'make
> check'.  So I doubt that only having one CPU is the problem.
>
> Perhaps the 'disk' is slow, or 1GB RAM is too little.  I don't think
> I ever tried to build gcc-5 in a machine or a VM with less than 4GB.
>
> I suspect that you will probably be ok if you let the LFS build
> complete and then try to use it, but we've really got no idea why
> you are getting these failures.

I tried giving it 8G ram and an extra cpu (though I didn't use -j2).
The 'disk' was probably faster too, as it had already been expanded
enough during the last build. Worked a lot better see below - only one
unexpected failure, and just for the reference, it looks like this
one:

FAIL: c-c++-common/goacc/acc_on_device-2.c scan-rtl-dump-times expand
"\\(call [^\\ncc_on_device" 0

                === g++ Summary ===

# of expected passes            93236
# of unexpected successes       2
# of expected failures          339
# of unsupported tests          3645
/sources/gcc-build/gcc/testsuite/g++/../../xg++  version 5.1.0 (GCC)

                === gcc tests ===

Running target unix
FAIL: c-c++-common/goacc/acc_on_device-2.c scan-rtl-dump-times expand
"\\\\(call [^\\\\n]* acc_on_device" 0

                === gcc Summary ===

# of expected passes            113926
# of unexpected failures        1
# of expected failures          259
# of unsupported tests          1807
/sources/gcc-build/gcc/xgcc  version 5.1.0 (GCC)

> Also, please don't top-post.
My bad, sorry.