[lfs-dev] gcc 5.1.0 test suite time out errors.

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 11 20:26:52 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 09:59:22PM -0500, Laurence Dawson wrote:
> It's not particularly slow - the host is a decent laptop (i5, 2 core +
> hyperthreading), 16G Ram. I only gave the vm 1g and 1 cpu, but wasn't doing
> anything heavy apart from the lfs build at the time. The only part that
> might look slow is the disk - I'm using virtual box dynamic expanding disk,
> and if the test is expanding the amount of disk needed, then it might be
> getting a slow response from the storage system.
>
> After reading a little about cilk, it is about parallel processing. I'm
> wondering if the fact that I gave the vm a single cpu is causing it to
> deadlock.

For running tests with gcc-5, anything more than -j1 has caused
problems (random failures) on my machines so I now use -j1 for 'make
check'.  So I doubt that only having one CPU is the problem.

Perhaps the 'disk' is slow, or 1GB RAM is too little.  I don't think
I ever tried to build gcc-5 in a machine or a VM with less than 4GB.

I suspect that you will probably be ok if you let the LFS build
complete and then try to use it, but we've really got no idea why
you are getting these failures.

Also, please don't top-post.

ĸen