[lfs-dev] About new systemd release management

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 21:32:36 PDT 2015

Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:

>> Others, especially on github, do not release properly named packages
>> but
>> they come out with names like v122.tar.xz when fetched with wget.
>>

> Have you tried the Content-Disposition option?
>
> e.g.
>
> wget --content-disposition
> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/archive/v222.tar.gz
>
> will download and save the file as systemd-222.tar.gz

Interesting thought Wayne.  I wasn't aware of that option. It's burried
about 20 pages down the man page.  It does say:

If this is set to on, experimental (not fully-functional) support for
"Content-Disposition" headers is enabled.

It would certainly look odd though in a wget-list that is generated from
the book.  It also makes it difficult for the currency scripts to
differentiate one v123.tar.xz from another v456.tar.bz2.  It requires
custom logic for each such entry.  About a third of all the packages in
the book do require some customization in the scripts though.  Why
developers can't just put their releases in a simple directory, is
beyond me.  I'm pretty sure github generates their tarballs on the fly,
but that's not convenient to all.

   -- Bruce