[lfs-dev] XML::Parser installation

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Jul 3 16:01:39 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 03, 2015 at 12:31:53PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Daniel Schepler wrote:
> >By analogy with the reasoning from "The /usr Versus /usr/local Debate", it
> >seems it would make sense to install LFS Perl modules into vendor_perl instead
> >of site_perl.  If you agree, the fix would be to run:
> >
> >perl Makefile.pl INSTALLDIRS=vendor
>
> That's an interesting observation, but it could lead to some
> inconsistencies.  We also offer the cpan method in BLFS and that installs
> automatically in /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl so if a user mixed the methods,
> the files would be in different places.
>
> I note that at least one distro (Mint) puts the files in /usr/lib/perl5, and
> not a subdirectory.
>
>   -- Bruce

My _impression_ from my recent experience is that site_perl trumps
whatever is installed by the core (e.g. biber wanted an *older*
version of a core module for speed efficiencie - on one box, I tried
that, from memory it went into site_perl and got used in preference
to the module from the core (it made biber's testsuite noticeably).

Perl predates _most_ things we now use, and it seems to be that
'vendor' is for whoever provides the binaries.  Whether or not
an update in site_perl will take precedence over something in
vendor, I do not know.  We don't provide binaries, so our current
variant seems good enough (unless there is some reason we have not
heard for suggesting this).  But builders are free to do whatever
they wish.

As to /usr and /usr/local - if a distro provides binary updates,
/usr/local may help to keep your own things unaltered.  For a linux
system, /usr/local is rarely worth the aggravation¹ - and I suspect
that perl's vendor directory is similar.

ĸen
[1.] About the only use I have found is to stick something into
/usr/local for a short-term "does it run / is it useful" test.
Leaving stuff in /usr/local has caused me grief when the headers
from /usr/local are preferred to those in /usr and I wished to
upgrade a main part of the system.
--
This one goes up to eleven!