[lfs-dev] XML::Parser installation

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Jul 3 10:27:46 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 03, 2015 at 09:37:33AM -0700, Daniel Schepler wrote:
> By analogy with the reasoning from "The /usr Versus /usr/local Debate", it
> seems it would make sense to install LFS Perl modules into vendor_perl instead
> of site_perl.  If you agree, the fix would be to run:
>
> perl Makefile.pl INSTALLDIRS=vendor

What is the point, or benefit, of doing that ?

Some of our users will install additional perl modules, either
because they need them as dependencies for soemthing in the BLFS
book, or because they want them for some other reason.  They would
then have three directories instead of two in /usr/lib/perl5:
5.22.0, site_perl, and now vendor_perl.  And the vendor directory
would only contain 5.22.0/$ARCH-linux/XML/Parser and a corresponding
set of auto directories.

ĸen
--
This one goes up to eleven!