[lfs-dev] host requires texinfo

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 10:01:08 PST 2015

Bryan S. wrote:
> 5.4. Binutils-2.25 - Pass 1 at least..
> Requires texinfo on host system but this is not stated in 'Host
> Requirements' section.
> My host system is Crux linux - they don't even have a port for texinfo
> in their main repos.
> I manually installed texinfo in Crux and built the rest of the book - no
> problems.
> My system: Lenovo core-i3 laptop.

It looks for makeinfo from texinfo 4.7 or later, but should continue on even if
it's not found.

However, I don't know that we've run into a system without makeinfo on the host
before.

I ran a test and see the message:

WARNING: `makeinfo' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
          you modified a `.texi' or `.texinfo' file, or any other file
          indirectly affecting the aspect of the manual.  The spurious
          call might also be the consequence of using a buggy `make' (AIX,
          DU, IRIX).  You might want to install the `Texinfo' package or
          the `GNU make' package.  Grab either from any GNU archive site.

But there must be some sort of timestamp issue because the build does indeed
fail without makeinfo.

I'll add texinfo-4.7 to the host system requirements.

Thanks for the report.

   -- Bruce