[lfs-dev] 'ls -l' segfaults on Athlon XP

Christoph Feikes cfeikes at gmx.net
Sun Feb 22 08:08:13 PST 2015

Hello,

I'm trying to build LFS according to current 7.7-rc1.
'ls -l' on a non-empty directory segfaults on Athlon XP as soon as a ls
linked against glibc-2.21 gets installed. When using glibc-2.20 on the
Athlon, all other parameters unchanged, no segfault occurs.

log entry: kernel: ls[15030]: segfault at 0 ip b76652a4 sp bfe82570
error 6 in libc-2.21.so[b75ed000+1af000]

The segfault happens, when in coreutils-8.23/src/ls.c the function
align_nstrftime() (line 3663) gets executed, the pointer pfmt returned
from a call to mempcpy() with 0 count to copy points to a bogus address,
and stpcpy() is called with this pointer as a destination address (lines
3678, 3679).

I'm suspecting a bug in glibc, specifically in the area of
sysdeps/i386/i686/multiarch, but so far I wasn't able to find it. I
admit I hardly know intel assembler, especially not the unix version.

Kind regards,
Christoph