[lfs-dev] minor comments for LFS book

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 19:42:27 PST 2015

Alexey Orishko wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 2:29 AM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Should it be like  mkdir -pv $LFS$(readlink $LFS/dev/shm) ?
>>

>> Why?  do you have a slash at the end of $LFS?  Not that it makes any
>> difference.
>
> I know it's not affecting anything.. Anyway, if I use command from the book:
> # echo $LFS
> /mnt/lfs
> # echo $LFS/$(readlink $LFS/dev/shm)
> /mnt/lfs//run/shm
>
> Do you have a different result containing a single slash only?

Ah yes, I see what is happening.  It depends on what readlink is returning.  It
may or may not return a slash depending on how the link was created.  Two
slashes won't hurt anything, but no slashes will break the command.

We do use the construct in several places and all use the /.  I'm reluctant to
remove it for this isolated case.

I could add a note about it.

   -- Bruce